Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

Our WWII Soldier's First Letter from the POW Hospital in Paris


37234941                                 Corporal John F. Jambrosic
                                                                      Paris
ORTSLAZARETT e la Pitie
Boulevard de hospital

August 11, 1944

My Darling Mark
         Hello Sweetheart!      How goes everything honey? Sorry I haven’t written sooner – but it was impossible to write this time. I got hit on the 19th of July – I had just received a letter from you with the picture of you in shorts & a striped sweater. I still got it. Hope you can read this – but it’s kinda hard to write laying flat on your back. I’m in a hospital right in Paris. Honey – Paris is really a grand city! I’d rather be in K.C. tho. How is everything back there?
         I’m okay and coming along fine honey – I don’t know how long I’ll have to stay in bed. We’re getting good treatment and enough to eat. We got American Red Cross food parcels yesterday & they were really alright. The Red Cross deserves a lot of credit honey!  After we’re well enough – we’ll go to a Prisoner of War camp from here. Tell Cec. & Lu. hello for me honey – I won’t be able to write them. I can only write one 1 page letter about every 8 or 9 days. I alternate between the folks & you honey. I love you & miss you honey.
Darling keep your chin up!
Tell everyone there hello for me huh? How’s Dee Dee?
I’d better close for now darling. I love you. Write soon.
All My Love Always,    Johnny


No comments:

Post a Comment