Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Nov. 12, 1944: His Leg is Coming Along Allright



With what joy and trembling fingers she must have opened each envelope – some are opened neatly and carefully.  Others appear to be ripped open with eagerness.  What news will each letter bring?   Is he healing?  Is he getting worse?  Any chance that he will come home?  And soon?

Oh, to be so far away, knowing he’s injured and lonely so far from home.  How heart-wrenching that must be!


Nov. 12, 1944
England



My Darling Mark
         Hello Sweetheart! !
I got 2 letters from you today honey – 26 – 27. Was really glad to hear from you. It takes 3 to 4 weeks now it seems to get any mail from the states.
I’m feeling okay honey & up & around all day – when I’m not sleeping – I’m getting lazier every day. My leg is coming along alright – a little slow. I don’t have much trouble with my chest – except for being short-winded as hell. I don’t think it’ll slow me down on loving you tho honey.
It’s been a year about today – that I was last home – too damn long to suit me!
Maybe it won’t be much longer – I’ve gained most of my weight back – but have 15 lbs to go yet. I don’t think I’ll gain much as long as my leg keeps draining. It should be okay in a week.
Well honey I guess I’ll answer Sis’ letter, & call it a night. I miss you more every day honey. Bye for now. Write soon. I love you Sweetheart.
All My Love Always     Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment