Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Boot Camp, November 21, 1942

Fort Riley, Kansas

Nov. 21st 1942

Sat Nite, 7:00 PM

Hello Honey!

I’ve got a few hours off, so I thought I’d write & let you know I still think about you. I’d sure like to get back there & have a nice good fight with you. I’m really getting in shape, so you had better be careful when I get back!

I’ve been drilling & marching every day, and believe me, I’m really tired & sore. Today we took up the manual of arms. (I mean rifles.) Yesterday we had to scrub & clean up the barracks for today’s inspection.

Today it was cold & rainy, and we had to drill & march in it. I don’t care so much for that part of it. This Army life isn’t so bad yet. After we get to studying and working out tactical problems, I’m going to be pretty busy.

I got my G.I. haircut, it’s about ½ inch long now. You ought to see me, you’d get a big laugh. I made a high enough grade on my test to go to officers training after my 3 weeks basic training is up, but I don’t know if I’ll go to the trouble. Well Babe I’ve got to go back to the barracks now. Write soon will ya? As ever – Buck Pvt. Johnny


No comments:

Post a Comment