Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

December 6, 1942

Fort Riley, Kansas
Dec. 6, 1942
Sun. Nite

Hi- Honey,
I received your most welcome letter yesterday. Maybe you don’t believe it, but I really look forward to your letters. I didn’t think I’d miss you so much as I do. I don’t know why I do – I just do! I’m laying on my bunk writing this letter, so tell me if you can’t read it. How about sending me your picture first, it will probably be a couple of weeks before I have a chance to take mine. Will you please? I’d like to show it off here. I’ll be expecting it. Yes I will!

I haven’t been doing much lately that’s new. Just reviewing the Tommy gun, machine gun & pistol. We practiced guard mount Sat. Last Fri. we went over the obstacle course again. Now I’ve got a stiff left knee & a twisted right ankle. Softie Huh? We had an 8” snow here Sat.

I didn’t do much today. Went to 11:00 Mass & then had dinner. After that I went to the Service Club, & messed around. Then I came back & washed some socks & hankies. It gets kinda boring laying around the barracks day after day. But there are times that make up for it.
Say do you write those letters mixed up on purpose? I about go nuts trying to find the next page. It slows me up & I don’t like to be slowed up. I’m not bawling you out, it’s alright. It keeps me in suspense or sumpin.
I went to the U.S.O. show last night. Guess what I saw. Real girls. They even moved & talked. Oh to be back in K.C. again?
Are you sure you didn’t run into a door to get that black eye???
I don’t know where Cec. is yet. I haven’t heard from him.
I just took a 10 min. break & helped my buddy eat a pint of ice cream. Another guy just got off of K.P. & brought back some apples. I’ve been pretty lucky. I haven’t had K.P. yet. I better not talk too soon tho. Tomorrow we go out on another hike & pitch tents from 7 P.M. to Midnite & no light of any kind. No fires or flashlights or cigarettes. What you been doing? Getting drunk much lately? Or just your regular Sat. nite binge? What was that dream about, or do I know? Well sweetheart I think I’ll turn in now. Goodnite. Why can’t you come down or up here? Write soon.

Love
OXX
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment