Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

September 8, 1943


Desert Training Center, California
Sept. 8, 1943



Darling Mark –

         Received your card late last nite. We had been driving all day till 8:00 P.M. & had chow at 9:00 P.M. Then mail-call & this little boy hit the hay – or I should say – rocks.

         Today we watched P-38’s bomb & strafe a mountain pass & then B-24’s followed with heavy bombs. Then tanks & artillery layed a barrage of fire for about an hour. It was a real sight.

P-38

 B-24 Liberator

         I’m now breaking all black-out regulations by using a flash-light to write by.

         I’m also cramped in a half-track to shield some of the light.

         The main trouble here is the dust & water. Too much dust & not enough water.

         I don’t know whether to take a chance on going to sleep or not – we’ll probably move out again tonite. We get very little sleep too, although if I was in K.C. I wouldn’t get much sleep.

         Well – honey I’m closing for tonite. Everyone else has bed down – I might as well.

Bye now
Write soon.
All My Love              X O X
Johnny              X O X

1 comment:

  1. The reality is sinking in....we're at war. Up to now it's just been army BS...and nothing has changed...including getting these very young men ready to be shipped into a war far away from home. I can feel the anxiety building up in your mother....not to mention the loneliness creeping into your dad's letters.

    ReplyDelete