Search This Blog

Saturday, October 29, 2011

October 11, 1943



Oct. 11, 1943

Darling Mark,

         Hello Sweetheart ! ! !

I received your letter yesterday. I was packing & that’s a whole days job itself. I’m leaving for Texas tomorrow. I probably won’t have a chance to write for a week or two so if you don’t get any letters from me, you’ll know why. We’re supposed to arrive at Barkley the 14th & leave the 16th.  I don’t reckon it’ll be a picnic. I seem to be getting a lot of letters these last few days – just because I haven’t much time to write.

         I don’t know what to write now – nothing is going on around here.

         We have another formal retreat tonite - how I hate it.

         Well honey, I’d better scratch off a couple more letters – this is the last time I’ll get to write before I leave.

         I expect to get a furlough after we hit Polk.

         Bye now & Write Soon.

         All My Love                 Johnny
         X               X               X               X
         X               X               X              

1 comment:

  1. Have to remember how young he (and all these 'children') is during this time. Very lonely time to be away from home for the first time ever....and then off to war, at that! Imagine the anxiety they feel coupled with the fear they might not make their families/country proud. This is the generation referred to as the GREATEST GENERATION. This generation would return (the lucky ones) to make their country THE GREATEST in the world...and never once demand a thing in return. Amazing to me. The pride never stops....

    ReplyDelete