Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

December 4, 1943


Armored Force
Camp Polk, Louisiana
Dec. 4, 1943
10:00 P.M.

(inside envelope flap)
All My Love  X O X
These jokes misled me for a while
Write soon honey!
X O X

Darling Mark –

Hello Sweetheart ! !

How’s my honey – huh?  I came in this morning & there on my bunk was your sweet letter & card. Honey the card is beautiful & I’m wearing the medal now. I’ve got the picture in front of me now. You look mighty smug honey! I’d like to be coming thru that door now. Just think what would happen if I did – I’m thinking hard now. Heavenly – huh honey?

I just came back from the show. Seen “In Old Oklahoma”.

I got another letter you sent to my old outfit too.

You asked me if I knew how long I’d be in Camp Polk? I don’t know – honey exactly how long – but I think it will be a month or two yet. We’re going thru intensive training now – as you’ve probably guessed by my latest letters.

Honey – we’re leaving tomorrow noon for a three day problem. We won’t get any mail & won’t have a way to send any so if you don’t get any letters for a couple of days after this one – you’ll know why.

I’m taking a little stationery just in case tho. I might be able to send a letter in when a kid goes back to camp after gas in his truck. If he goes back in I know he’ll mail it for me.

We don’t’ have reveille at any certain time in the morning & we can eat breakfast any time from 8 to 9.

I want to go to Mass in the morning so I’ll have to get up early – if I can.

I guess I’ll have to hide this picture – I write a line & then look at it for an hour – almost anyway.

Honey – I miss you so much – I guess I’ve got “Pins & Needles” in my heart – that’s what it feels like anyway.

Honey I haven’t played poker or craps since I’ve left the desert. Out there there just wasn’t anything else to do & no place to go.

I liked playing poker the time passed quick & I never did come out in the hole in the long run.

I haven’t got time now to gamble & there’s other things to do here in garrison. Besides I’m sending most of my pay home to salt it away.

Honey – no one reads your letters or mine now & are not going to – how’s that?

The air cadets is out until this alert is lifted – if it is. If I get in there – I’d be sure of another year here.

Well, honey its time for lights out, so I’ll close. I’ll write tomorrow morning before we leave.

I miss you – darling! Write soon honey.

Goodnite honey -       X       X       X       X       X
X X X X X   All My Love        Johnny     X O X
X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X         X


No comments:

Post a Comment