Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

Our WWII Soldier Dreams of His Sweetheart, and Wants to Spend Quiet Evenings At Home

BLUE ENVELOPE MAIL
ARMY OF THE UNITED STATES
March 24, 1944
Friday 5:30 P.M.


My Darling Mark
Hello precious!
I got two sweet letters from you today & was very happy to get them - just coming off K.P.
         It was another nice day here again. I hope it stays this way.
         I’ve still got my laundry to do that I started to do two days ago.
         Honey I had a dream about you the other nite while on guard. I dreamed I stopped off in K.C. (I don’t know where I was going or doing there but) I stopped in a cafĂ© for some coffee & you were sitting at another table. I was awfully happy for some reason – but all I done was said “hi” to you & let it go at that (whats the matter with me??) then they woke me up to go on duty. I wish I could have dreamed on – maybe I’d have got to kiss you & honey how I’d like to do that! Honey I can almost feel a kiss from you – but I’d like to have a real one. The more I think about you the more lonesome I get for you.  Honey – I miss you like hell!  Its an awful feeling to miss anyone & want to be with someone as much as I do you, darling. I have you on my mind every nite when I go to sleep – hoping I can dream of you!
         Having a hard time reading this – I’m laying on my bunk & its kinda uneasy to write. Just lazy or an excuse?
         Honey – after I do get home & we’re married & I do want you – we’ll spend a lot of nice quiet evenings home. I don’t think I’d want to do much reading tho when I could be doing a lot of loving.
         Were you kidding when you said if you could get me to go to bed.
         I’ll probably be wanting my “dinner” in bed, & I don’t mean potatoes!
         Ralph & Dora got married at Olathe & Dora isn’t Catholic – that’s why Mom took it so hard.
         Honey – I’ll try & get a picture taken – but I haven’t seen any quick photo shops yet & the photo shops I have seen are only open about 3 days a week & are closed when I see them. Honey you can send me a picture of you every week if you can. I got a letter from Ralph Mitchell’s mother today - you know her? him? I guess Cec. gave it to her.
         Well – honey – I guess I’ll write Mom & do a little washing & go to bed & hope I dream of you. Darling I miss you & love you more every day. Honey I love you. I love you.
Goodnite Darling!!
Please write soon & often.

         All My Love,       Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment