Search This Blog

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Our WWII Soldier Says It's HELL Over In France


June 12, 1944
France


My Darling Mark
Hello Sweetheart!!
I got your letter of the 25th yesterday & the one of the 17th today – so I’ll just answer both at the same time.
It was the first mail we got since we hit France & it sure was good to hear from you.
I hope you’re feeling better by now honey – I have an idea that I could have helped your sore throat if I was there!
It made it kinda rough not to be able to eat what you would have liked huh? Waistline smaller? I’ve lost weight too – but not because I was sick!
I’m still okay honey and feeling pretty good. Mostly feeling for you.
It’s hell over here honey – you have no idea what it’s really like – thank God – I wish it would end soon.
I’m sure going to be a home-loving ole cuss when I get back, & I really mean it!
The weather here is very unusual today – the sun is shining. It’s about the only day it hasn’t rained. I never seen such a wet country & yet so dry – if you know what I mean. The Germans took most of the wine.
I have been lit up on some cider here. Potent stuff! There’s not much of it either!
Well honey – I guess I’d better write home now.
Bobby will probably still have his boat – but don’t you think it might be a little dangerous for me & you to make  love in a boat??
I love you honey & miss you like hell! You’ll never know – until I get home – how much! Bye for now honey & write soon & often. I don’t get many chances to write. Don’t hold it against me huh?  
All My love always     Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment