Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

July 26, 1943 (2nd letter)

Desert Training Center, California
July 26, 1943
Tues.    1:00 P.M.


Darling Mark,

         Hello Sweetheart!!!

         Received your air-mail & the one that rode free inside. I got the pictures too. You should have known better than to ask for it back, once you send it to me.

         Another hot day & we’ve got a 12 mile hike this afternoon! Even the nights are getting hotter. Even I’m getting hotter.

         L.A. is restricted to us again now. I guess I’ll never get out of this hell-hole.

         Honey, I’ll have to finish this tonite – we’re being called out early. Bye now.
        
5:30
Back again & tired as hell. We went out on the desert & had a dismounted problem. We were defending a water tower. My buddy & I were together under a greasewood bush – taking it easy. We talked mostly of girls, & decided that you had better not join the Marines. Honey, you don’t know what you’re getting into! All I can say is I hope you don’t. I could tell you not to definitely – but then you’d probably do it just to show me you could. Well honey it’s about time for chow so I’d better close. After chow we have two hours of dismounted drill. It’ll be too dark to write.

         I miss you honey & think of you a lot – but I’d hate to think of you in the Marines.

Bye now – honey                                  x O X
Write Soon.                                 X O X X X X
         All My Love                 Johnny     XOX



I could really go for some of those sloppy kisses any time – anywhere. Honey – think a lot before you join the Marines or any Womens service.
         Bye again – Love                X O X

1 comment:

  1. Feisty!!!! Never realized how spunky she was because your dad seemed to have all the control. Really wish I'd spent more time picking her brain.

    This is so bittersweet learning so much about two people who made a difference in my life!

    Huns

    ReplyDelete