Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28, 1943


Desert Training Center, California
July 28, 1943
Wed.    1:30 P.M.



Darling Mark –

         Hello Sweetheart!!!

Got your 10 page air-mail today – counting the jokes. I’ve heard some & some I hadn’t.

         As you see I found that lapel pin. Every day now we’ve been having inspections & they’ve been gigging us everytime – so this noon we had to take everything out of our barracks bags & mark everything. Well, I found the thing in one bag.

         Honey this letter will have to be short. I’m going to fall out in 15 minutes, & tonite we go on a night patrol problem & I won’t get to.

         It’s been 150° for about a week here now. Even the nights are hot.
        
         Write then.

         This morning we had 2 hrs. on Judo fighting. 2 hrs on the use of sulfa drugs & morphine.

         This afternoon we’re going on another dismounted problem in the desert.

5:00. I didn’t have time to finish this at noon. We were out all afternoon practicing laying mines & detecting them.

         We’re going out this evening again on a nite problem. We weren’t fighting over a girl – where could anyone find a dame out here? I grant you, it would be a fight if there ever was one.

         We can’t wear shorts out here – the sun would blister you in an hour. Well honey – I’d better get ready for tonite. I’ll write more tomorrow. Bye now. Love Johnny

X X X X X X X X

No comments:

Post a Comment