Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August 11, 1943


Desert Training Center, California
Aug 11, 1943
Tuesday 1:00 P.M.

Darling Mark,

Hello Sweetheart!!

I got your letter yesterday. It was delayed because you didn’t put my full address on it. I went to L.A. last Thurs. & just got back in time for reveille Monday morning. Our car broke down in Santa Anita on the way back. Had a swell time at Ocean Park & Long Beach. A Soldier’s Paradise!

I didn’t have time to answer yesterday we left in the afternoon to go out here. We’ll be out till Sat.

I’d like to get into a nice poker game & clean up. (Only kidding honey!)

We had a heavy rain yesterday & a flood in the lower parts. We had to wait 2 hrs. before we could get back across to camp. If I didn’t see it I wouldn’t have believed it. It’s hot as ever today again.

Believe it or not I have been good. I went to communion 2 weeks ago. There’s no other way to be out here.

Well honey its’ time to move again so I’ll close & drop this in the mail at the first chance. Write soon – if you can find time.

                                  Bye now.
All My Love        Johnny

X       O      X       X       O      X

1 comment:

  1. Well, looks like talk of your mom joining the Marines has stopped. Wish he had elaborated on the soldiers' paradise and close call getting back just in time for reveille....I'm sure it was good for some laughs for many years! You think he talked about this kind of stuff with her once they were married?

    ReplyDelete