Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

August 30, 1943


Desert Training Center, California
Aug 30, 1943
12:00 P.M.


Darling Mark,

Hello Sweetheart!!

I got your 5 page letter today. I’m glad it came today, we’re moving out at 2:00 for another week in the field. That means I’ll be  - CHOW –



As I was saying I’ll be pretty busy. I only had time to write 3 letters last week. I go to observation school 2 nites a week now too. I usually have a little nite work along with my regular routine. I’ll never catch up on sleep.

Sat. nite I was on guard till 10:00 & Sun. from 6-8 & 12-2.

Next week end will be our last in camp till Oct. 16. The nites are plenty cool now out in the field.

Yes I got a letter from Cec yesterday – it made me a little blue not being able to see him. I like the picture honey & you know damn well I’m going to keep it. Yes, I still want the other one & anymore you’ve got.

The folks are all okay & the baby that was burned is alright now too.

I don’t think I’ll be able to see Ralph here, till after maneuvers anyway. No, he doesn’t like it at all. He told me every evening when school is out he expects to go home like he did in high school. Honey, there’s sure a lot of stars in the sky out here & one nite I timed the moon coming up over a mountain. It took 1 min & 40 seconds for the whole moon to come up above the mountain. It was really beautiful. I have a pastime on guard duty at nite. Mainly thinking of you – what you’re doing – how are you, when will I see you, & how I’d like to be with you. Just dreaming honey.

I’d better close for now. I haven’t quite the time to write a 5 page today – but the first chance I get I’ll write again. I’ve got to pack now & it usually takes me quite a while to get all the stuff I need & want to take along in this mussett bag.

WWII mussette bag


It takes 5 days for your letters to get here.

I’m okay honey – maybe not as happy as I’d like to be – but okay. I know you’re alright – aren’t you? Gotta go now.

Write soon, Honey.
Bye now                     All My Love
                                           Johnny              X O X
X   O  X       O  X
X   O  X   O       X       O

1 comment:

  1. Ralph sounds like he has it easier than any of the guys right now. How I wish you had all the letters your mom wrote, as well....what a picture that would be painting. I'd love to know more about what was happening in their communities, their families, their lives during this time. I know I was a carefree teen during the height of the Viet Nam war, when the news of the day revolved around war, killing, and losing kids by thousands....all I wanted to do was party and dance...which is where I was when I met your brother!

    ReplyDelete