Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 27, 1943


Desert Training Center, California
Aug 27, 1943

Darling Mark,

Hello Sweetheart!!

Believe it or not I got a letter from you today. They’re nice honey – but too far between. I’d write more often if I got a few more letters from you.

We were in the field again last week – just got back 2:30 this morning. They woke us up about 1:00 to come back to camp. Haven’t been getting much sleep either – usually guard duty every nite & now 2 nites a week I go to observation school.

I did get to go to L.A. – had a wonderful time. Wish you were there!!

From now on we’ll be out on maneuvers every week... if we can keep our cars in condition. Last week our co. broke 8 at $18 apiece. They said if we break anymore we’d have to pay for them – but they can’t do that – or can they?

My brother Ralph is in Sacramento Cal. now going to radio school. He’s got the best go.

It’s getting cooler at nite here too. I about froze the other nite in the field. Along about the last part of September & October it goes down to freezing at nite, & then hot again in the afternoon.

I just finished taking a shower & shave. We’re having another beer party tonite. The last one till after maneuvers are over. I’ll get my fill of Coke!!

How is Lucy? Do you see her very much?

Well honey I’d better close for tonite & go eat chow & then??? I’m not getting drunk – so don’t raise your blood pressure honey & I know you can.

We’re only getting $10 this payday till after maneuvers are over & then they’re going to give it to us all at once. I suppose it’s better that way – I’ll have something to come home on.

Well – Bye now honey – I miss you very much & I know all about those long lonesome nites.

Please write soon – honey.

                 All My Love                         X O X
X O X                 X X            Johnny                      X       X
    X      X          X          X


No comments:

Post a Comment