Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Our Soldier Gets a Telegram from His Sweetheart

Camp Polk, Louisiana

Dec. 29, 1943
Wed. Eve


(inside envelope flap)
Hello
Darling!
I Love you!
I Miss You
Write Soon      X X X                   Love
X O X


My Darling Mark –

Hello Sweetheart ! !

I got your nice long & sweet letter today.

I didn’t get a letter yesterday from you & I didn’t write last nite. Not because I didn’t get a letter tho, honey – we had an inspection today & last nite we were marking clothes & sewing chevrons on.

I got your telegram last nite honey & I just about passed out when you said you wanted to come down.

I’m sweating a pass out now & I’ll let you know by wire tomorrow nite.

Honey – if you could catch a train Friday nite & get here Sat. afternoon & I could meet you in Shreveport. That’s the only place that’s decent & most likely to get a hotel room.

Honey – I want to see you so much I hope everything works out.

I’m glad you liked the ring honey & I wish I could have put it on myself & with a special kiss.

Yes honey – I’ve told my folks & they approved of you long ago – as if it would make any difference if they didn’t. You don’t think I’d forget about you – do you?

We didn’t do a thing today – just had our clothes inspected again. Most of the time we were fighting (in a friendly way) as we usually do.

It’s still pretty cold here – but I hope it warms up.

Honey (I’m not excited). What do I expect you to do while I’m away?  Well I want you to stay home every nite & read ! !  No, honey you can do anything you want to, I wouldn’t expect you not have fun & go places. In the first place it just wouldn’t be fair to you honey. If you love me & I love you I can surely trust you in whatever you do. I want you to have all the fun you can honey – for both of us. I don’t think I’ll get in much dancing from now on. Maybe it won’t seem so long till I come back if you have a lot of fun. Besides honey – you know how war is – maybe?

All in all honey – I want you to go out & have a hell of a good time! But you can still think of me tho!

Honey – I’ll be thinking of you constantly.

I hope I get to see you soon!  Honey I love you!

Goodnite Darling      Write Soon.
X O X                 All My Love                 Johnny
I love you honey I love you.

Millions
X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X 
         O      O      O      O      O      O      O      O      O      O        
X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X       X
Be careful honey

No comments:

Post a Comment