Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

April 24, 1943

April 24, 1943
Sat 3:00 P.M.
??? – Kans.

Darling Mark:

I received your card yesterday – it was really nice. Then I got your letter today. It sure gave me a pickup – I’m so dead tired – I can hardly stand.

Last nite 2 of us fellows went to Manhattan. I sent you a telegram but they wouldn’t let me send any Easter greetings. After that we went to a show & saw “Slightly Dangerous”. We got out of the show about 11:30 & missed the last bus to Fort Riley where a truck was going to take us back to our camp. So – we started hitch-hiking but there wasn’t much traffic out in this god-forsaken place.

We left Manhattan at 12:30 & got back to camp this morning at 4:00 A.M. It was about a 14 mile hike. I never seen such a long damn highway. You could see for miles ahead. My poor feet are killing me. The muscles of my legs are tied in knots & sore as hell. I don’t know how we ever made it back. I felt like laying down beside the road & to hell with the Army.

All this morning we had maintenance – so I crawled in a secluded tent & got a little rest. We’re off this afternoon & as soon as I finish this letter somebody’s going to bed mighty early.

Tomorrow at camp they’re going to hold Easter services in the field. I hope I can get to confession. I need to – after last nite.

So – you got the measles. OH – sweetheart – I bet you sure look sharp.

I haven’t heard from Lu this week yet. I guess I told you we were pulling out of here Monday morn for a 200-mile trip. Next couple of weeks we’re supposed to be back in garrison.

Boy it’s really hot here today. I think I’ll strip & get a sun-tan. I’m going to miss you this week-end honey. Bye now. PLEASE ANSWER SOON.

All My Love
Johnny
XXXXXXOOOXOOOXXXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment