Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

May 7, 1943, 9:00 PM

Fort Riley, Kansas
May 7, 1943
Friday, 9:00 P.M.

(inside envelope flap)
Hello
Sweetheart!!
LOVE!

XXXXXXOOOXX Write Soon




Darling Mark:

I received your letter this afternoon – you don’t know how happy I am to get them. I just came back from sending you another telegram. I sent one earlier this evening telling you not to come, because we were on the alert & couldn’t leave the area. Then I got a telegram from Lu. saying you were coming up. So – I went to the first Sargeant & explained things to him with a sad look on my face. He told me to tell you to come on up & he’d find a way to let me go. I don’t know why I’m telling you this now cause I’ll be telling you Sat. nite personally. I’ll probably get into a little trouble – but it’ll be worth it.

It rained all day here & we just layed around the barracks waiting to be called for physicals. We finally got examined about 7:00 P.M.

I’ll bet I find a couple of gray hairs in my head by morning. I don’t know what to write about now honey. I’m so confused & worrying how things will come out Sat. I can’t think straight.

There’s a big poker game going on in the middle of the floor – it’s awful tempting to get into. I don’t think I will tho, it’s about time for lights out. I’d better get some sleep tonite if I can.

Well – honey I’ll close for tonite & hope & pray I get out of here tomorrow. I’ll see you in Manhattan Sat. eve.

So my letters are short & sweet eh? I wouldn’t say yours were so long, altho they are sweet too.

Tell Lu. she had better write soon or I’ll be mad on her. Oh-oh here comes C.O. to turn out the lights I’d better close quick like.

Goodnite honey. I’ll be seein you. Write soon.

All my Love
Johnny

XXXXOXXXOXXoX

No comments:

Post a Comment