Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

May 7, 1943

Fort Riley, Kansas
May 7, 1943
Friday, 9:00 A.M.

(inside envelope flap)
Hello
Sweetheart!!
I MISS YOU

Love XXXXXXOOOXX




Darling Mark:

Well, babe it’s happened again. I’m sending you a telegram tonite to cancel your trip. We’ve just been placed on the alert from Sat. noon till Sunday noon. We’re not allowed to leave the co. area during that time, & are subject to call any hour of the day or nite. The way it’s worked around here – one co. of the 9th Div. is on the alert for a week, and out of 15,000 men our co. had to pull it this week.

I’m sorry,, honey, very sorry – but it can’t be helped. I tried to talk my way out of it for the week-end but no use. “This is the Army Mr. Jambrosic”

I was happy all week to think you were coming up – but now I’m so disgusted & blue I feel like getting tanked up & go A.W.O.L. That wouldn’t do much good – I’d just be in more of a mess.

I’m remembering what you said- if I canceled your trip this time, & I’m going nuts worrying.

I hope you don’t get too mad sweetheart. Write soon, darling please? Bye now.

All my Love

Johnny
XXXXXXXXXOOXOXXXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment