Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

May 13, 1943 8:15 AM

Fort Riley, Kansas
May 13, 1943
8:15 A.M.

Darling Mark,

Hello Sweetheart!!
How I miss you – I can’t say. I thought about you all day. I hope I get to see you next week-end.

I got in camp at 4:00 this morning & got up at 5:30. I walked around half way sleeping & day dreaming today. We had a lecture this morning & I kept going to sleep every 5 minutes. It’s really hell to have to fight to stay awake.

I’ve just finished taking a shower & shaving & am now laying on my bunk ready for some sleep – as soon as I write home.

Mercy! It was sure hot today! What time did you get up today – or did you?

Baby – how I’d like to have you in my arms tonight! Damn honey – I write one line, then stop & think about you for an hour it seems.

Some guy just offered me 25 c for my thoughts, but I wanted $5 or nothing. He wasn’t that curious. I didn’t want to sell them anyway.

At the station last nite I bought a round-trip to Riley – it was only 15 c more than a one way. Well – as soon I sat down on the train – I had the ticket in my hand – I fell asleep. The next time I woke up we were in Topeka & I still have my round-trip. I went back to sleep & woke up in camp & I still had the round-trip & I still have it. I don’t know how they missed me, but I wasn’t curious to find out. I get to use it this week-end.

This afternoon I fell asleep after chow & when I woke up I was the only one in the barracks. It took me half-hour to find my platoon & another hour explaining where I had been. He must have believed the line I gave him – I haven’t heard anything – yet!

Honey – I’m going to sign off now. I gotta write home & hit the hay.

I could really go for a “charge” now.

Goodnite Honey – Please answer soon.
All My Love
Johnny
XXXO OXXX
P.S. 8:15 – See what I mean? XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment